Claims that Increase Auto Insurance Premium

One can never avoid car accidents, no matter how minor or severe these are. When you encounter an accident on the road while driving, it can hurt your finances badly. Some even suffer from a damaged vehicle even if it was not caused by driving accidents.

A variety of claims may fare differently when it comes to auto insurance policy. These are instances when the driver was not responsible for the damage done to the car. For instance, a tree branch might have fallen on your car, which caused some car parts to break or get scratches. Another example would be a dent in your car due to hailstorm, or a severe (or minor) damage to your car caused by a reckless driver while your car is parked somewhere.

Upon seeing your car in such a sad condition, your impulses would cause you to call your insurance company. However, there are different rates and terms that apply depending on the claim. Here are some of the conditions considered per coverage of the auto insurance policy.

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage (UMPD)

This condition is when you car gets hit while it is parked in some place, and the culprit escapes from any obligation to the damage. However, only a few states allow UMPD such as North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, Texas, and a few others. Those drivers who apply for this coverage will leave you problem-free in handling hit and run issues on your car. However, you must back it up with a police report, as it is one of the requirements for this coverage. The deductible cost for this coverage is usually $250 up to $500.

If you live in other states, the Collision coverage takes away the UMPD. In California, for instance, a car damage caused by hit and run can be claimed under collision coverage. In this case, you will have to pay a deductible amount around $500 to $1000. On the other hand, you can apply for UMPD if you do not have coverage for  collision.

In some other states, there is no such thing as UMPD coverage. This condition holds true in Pennsylvania; hence, you have to apply for Collision coverage to have some protection on your car for hit and run damages. In case you do not have such coverage in your policy, you will have to pay for your car’s repair.

Comprehensive Claim

Damages to your car caused by nature (storm, fallen tree branch, hail) qualify for a comprehensive claim. Some insurance companies count this coverage as a condition that is aside from a collision.

Certain insurance companies sometimes phrase comprehensive as “other than collision”. This is typically a claim that is not counted against you like an accident would be. However, there are some states that will count it as a “claim” but not an “accident”. The difference is that an accident will count against you much higher.

Your rate could still increase because of a comprehensive claim, but it won’t increase as much as an accident would. However, if you have too many claims, even if they were out of your control like storm damage or flood, your insurer could require you to go to a high-risk policy. Virginia is one of those states. There are several more.

Before you place a claim, you may want to find out what your state guidelines and regulations are and what types of coverages you have on your policy. Be proactive and find out now, before a claim occurs. That way you will know better how to handle it. You do not want to place a claim for a couple hundred dollars if it will count against you. You are better off fixing the damage yourself. FREE Auto Insurance Quote
Free to Search ♦ Large Network of Agents ♦ Choose which quote providers to contact